Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Post-babymoon

January 2, 2013 (13 weeks 5 days):

I thought this was a fairly amusing title, because of the way people talk about their post-honeymoons. Not to worry there was not the same type of let down that you have after your honeymoon, after all we were off to celebrate the holidays with family and friends! The only post-babymoon I felt was GOOD-BYE to trimester 1! Hooray!!! No more nausea!

We made it down to Anne and Jerry's to be warmly greeted by the happy couple, their young grandson, Tommy, and Lyndsey, Gus' sister. It was a fairly routine and relaxing Christmas here in the Sierra foothills. Jerry's sons, daughter-in-law, and grandkids all came over for brunch and gift exchange. We were missing Kerry and Eloy though, they usually liven the party quite a bit on Christmas day. I must say my favorite gift that was opened on Christmas morning for Gus and I was from, Lyndsey, it was a combination of gifts to help us outfit our soon-to-be chicken coop! My other favorite gift that we received was actually a gift for the baby. It was a baby food maker from Anne and Jerry. I am very excited to start learning about making our own baby food, that is after the year of breast feeding that I am expecting to do. I'm not actually sure when you start incorporating baby food. I am sure that the baby would like baby food and breast milk... More research must be done.

Gus and Keta had to head back home on Christmas day to work from Wednesday-Friday, so Oso and I stayed. Our dog Keta always thinks she needs to be working (it's the border collie way). I spent my time jogging with Oso, hiking with Anne, cooking yummy meals and watching my new favorite TV station HGTV (way too addictive). It's probably a good thing I don't have TV at our house.  My best friend, Crystal, and her fiancee, Onkar, were scheduled to arrive in town mid-day on Friday too. They were going to rent a condo up the mountain, in the beautiful winter wonderland, which was only 30 minutes away. 

Luckily, us humans and our 4 LARGE dogs were able to spend a good amount of time together too. We cooked dinners, went cross-country skiing, went for hikes, played board games, watched movies, and were able to do a lot of catching up. Unfortunately, being pregnant keeps me from going snowboarding so when Onkar and Crystal hit the slopes, Gus and I went back down the mountain. He went mountain biking, which I can't do anymore either, and I went for a 5 mile jog with the dogs. We were also able to get a lift in with our barbell and plates he brought down from the house.   The four of us stayed in on New Year's eve (falling asleep before midnight, but waking up again just before).  It was sad to say goodbye to Crystal and Onkar on New Year's morning because the next time we see them won't be until my birthday weekend (the end of March). More pictures to come (once we get them from Crystal and Onkar)!



Gus and I had plans to go to Yosemite on New Year's day for a nice hike in the snow up to Yosemite falls. Our truck is two-wheel drive (rear-wheel) which is the least helpful for icy/snowy conditions. Good thing for us, we don't really need it at this point in our lives (except when traveling on curvy snowy roads through, say, Yosemite National Park). Luckily we picked up some chains for exiting the park later in the day. Our hike was wonderful and very slippery. We had trekking poles which made our lives easier and we had our sliding technique down pat. We made it safely down the mountain, and headed over to the Yosemite lodge lounge for a quick bite to eat before venturing out of the park. It was a SLOW and slippery drive, and I felt lucky that Gus was driving. Since the sun had set all of the tire tracks had become iced over. We were going in and out of traction at multiple points and we were uncertain we would make it up the climbs out. Gus stayed in first gear for some of it just so the tires wouldn't spin too fast. We made it safely home by 9pm.








Friday we have our ultrasound, which is the second step in the genetic screening process, and I will get an official number on the pounds I have gained... I feel huge already. I definitely have a more prominent baby bump going now. You can see it VERY clearly in this picture. A pound a week in the second trimester is what I hear will happen. So I am mentally prepared for these changes to occur. 



No comments:

Post a Comment