Saturday, January 5, 2013

Nuchal Translucency

January 5, 2013 (14 weeks 1 day):

The nuchal translucency ultrasound is the second step in the first trimester screening for various abnormalities or syndromes your developing baby might have. There is a final step in your integrated screen, which is the second trimester blood draw which tests for various hormones etc. Honestly, I was more excited to see the baby again then I was worried that our baby had anything wrong with him/her. My excitement mimicked my pre-race jitters of a race I had thoroughly prepared for. Strange, I thought, but the last time I saw Baby it looked like a pillsbury doughboy with little buds for arms and legs. Good news: we saw our beautiful baby, who had grown SO much since the last time. The doctor said based on what she saw everything is looking good. Bad news: our baby's measurements were too big to get the first trimester screening results. It was out of the size window that generates the risk statistics. So we have no certainty if the we are high risk or low risk until I get my next blood draw and results. Gus was disappointed to hear that. The doctor predicted our baby to be due July 1, our main doctor says it looks like July 5, and based on my missed period Baby is due June 29. A significant gap in time, but most likely between July 1 and July 5. Either way our baby is growing fast!!! Hooray! Just like it's parents!


Here is the full-body image of the baby. The head is on the right, the arms are by it's chin, it's spine is bright white, and it's femur is to the left of the photo.


Here is the baby's face closer up, with it's hands close to it's chin.

No comments:

Post a Comment